As I tweeted yesterday, I made new divider tabs for my Domino and adapted my setup a little bit. I’m still planning on buying a real leather Filo in the near future (an Osterley probably), but I’ll just move out of my Domino and into my new Filo with my current setup then.
But first things first: my new hand-made divider tabs (inspired by Thomas’ great blog post):
- paper of your choice (I took 160 gram paper with mostly flower motives)
- a ruler
- a paper knife
- a pencil
- a calculator (if you’re not good at mental arithmetic)
- and transparent adhesive foil
I just drew out an A5 size on the colored paper. Then I decided how many tabs I wanted (I did nine) and divided the length of the A5 paper so every tab would be the same size (mine were 3.3 cm long and 1 cm wide). I drew this part on the paper as well and cut the whole shape out with the paper knife. I did this nine times. And then I did five top tabs. They work just the same except that the tabs are on the top – obviously. I did not bother about the sides of the tabs being cut all in the same angle. I just cut them in whatever angle I thought looks good.
That’s what the finished product looks like (those dirty toes on the pic belong to my 3-year-old nephew, by the way ;-)):
I have to say I was pretty proud of myself at this point. Then I named the tabs. I wrote the titles down with pencil first so I could make sure that the writing is the same size. Then I re-wrote the titles with my Pilot FriXion Pens.
The next step is to cut the transparent adhesive foil into small pieces (mine were 6 x 4 cm). I used those to put them over the tabs so the part would not bend or crack as easily. I’m not sure if I’m describing this the right way (as you know my first language is German, not English), but you should be able to see what I did on this picture:
The point was to make them look just like the “real” Filofax tabs. I cut the edges of the foil with my paper knife again and that was it.
I then punched them with my A5 hole punch from OPTO and just put them in my Filo. Done